Anthony Wayne Local Schools 2014-15 Kindergarten Information
For the 2014-2015 school year, the Anthony Wayne Local School District is excited to offer half-day, every day kindergarten. We believe this delivery system will provide our students a greater level of consistency, which will hopefully benefit the students developmentally, socially, and academically. It is our goal to provide them with opportunities to learn and practice the essential social, emotional, problem-solving, and study skills that they will utilize throughout their education. We believe their transition into school should be positive and should provide each student the necessary foundation to be successful throughout his or her educational career.
The following information may answer some of your questions concerning our kindergarten program and the process for enrolling your child. If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact the primary that your child will be attending.
Monclova Primary 419-865-9408 Waterville Primary 419-878-2436 Whitehouse Primary 419-877-0543
What is the time of each session?
A.M. Session - 8:45 - 11:35
P.M. Session - 12:35 - 3:25
What if there is a 2-hour delay?
A.M. classes will start at 10:45 and dismiss at 12:15
P.M. classes will start at 1:30 and dismiss at 3:15
May I request that my child be in the A.M. or P.M. session?
You may request your preference no later than kindergarten screening in June and you must include the rationale for the request. Also, if your child needs to be on the same schedule as another child for transportation or childcare purposes, you may make a request. These requests must be made in writing or via email to the principal of the school your child will attend. While we try to honor such requests, we are NOT able to guarantee that requests will be honored.
When will I know if my child is in the A.M. or P.M. session?
A letter will be mailed to each family by the end of June.
Will transportation to and from school be provided?
Yes, bus transportation is provided for kindergarten students. The midday routes are just for kindergarten students. The morning and afternoon routes are for kindergarten through fourth grade students.
Will transportation be provided to my child’s daycare/preschool?
Anthony Wayne provides transportation to daycares/preschools only within each primary school’s boundaries. Alternate Transportation Request forms are available at each primary school office. Some daycare/preschool facilities may provide transportation to the district’s other two primary schools.
Does my child need to have any specific skills before entering kindergarten ?
Your child would certainly benefit from a solid understanding of basic skills including letter and sound recognition, basic number sense, basic cutting and writing ability, etc. However, these are not required skills for entrance. Each child will be looked at as an individual. Possibly more important than the academic readiness is your child’s social and emotional readiness for school.
Will my child have lunch at school?
Lunch will not be provided.
What are the important dates and information I need to know to enroll my child?
- Registration - Beginning February 19th, please call 419-877-5377 to schedule an appointment to register your child at the Central Administrative Office, located at 9565 Bucher Road in Whitehouse. This process includes providing proof of residency and submitting paperwork. Forms and more details are available online at www.anthonywayneschools.org and at the Central Administrative Office. We encourage doing this as soon as possible.
- Kindergarten Parent Night - Each of the primary buildings will hold a Kindergarten Parent Night on Thursday, May 8th at 7:00 p.m. At this meeting, your building principal and kindergarten staff will provide additional information regarding your student’s day, medical items, building security measures, transportation procedures, district expectations, building-specific items, and answer any questions parents may have. You will also have the opportunity to visit kindergarten classrooms. This meeting is intended for parents only.
- Kindergarten Screening - You can expect to have a screening appointment approximately the second week in June. In April, a building secretary will contact you to schedule that appointment for your child.
What happens during kindergarten screening?
Students will be screened by Anthony Wayne staff. Parents will be asked to wait in one room while the students are screened in another area of the building. There are three broad areas of assessment; motor skills, concepts, and language. There is no need to prepare for this assessment. You can expect the appointment to last about an hour, usually less.
How will I know how my child did at kindergarten screening?
Within two weeks of the screening, you will receive a letter in the mail. First, if any of the three areas screened are a weakness for your child, that will be indicated in this communication, but will not prevent your child from entering kindergarten. Secondly, the letter will notify you of your child’s placement in either A.M. or P.M. kindergarten.
- Registration Day - All primary buildings will have a Registration Day on Thursday, August 14th from noon to 7:00 p.m. On that day, fall pictures will be taken (checks made out to Lifetouch), school fees will be paid ($50 per student with checks made out to Anthony Wayne Local Schools), money can be put on your child’s lunch account (checks made out to Anthony Wayne Food Service), and class lists will be posted with teacher names. Bus routes will be available and any paperwork not completed in June can be turned in on that day.
- Open House - Tuesday, August 19th from 5:30-7:00 p.m. families will have the opportunity to attend Open House. Parents and students will see the classroom, meet the teacher and can bring supplies to get settled that evening so the students are ready to start on the first day of school.