Summer Skills Lessons
Power House Challenge
Summer Skills Websites
Feel free to use any of the following websites to practice academic skills with your students this summer.
Students can also use any of the web sites below to practice MATH FACTS:
VOCABULARY GAMES – GAME GOO (COGNITIVE CONCEPTS)
PROFESSOR GARFIELD WRITING & READING GAMES
WRITING GAME – COMIC CREATOR
VOCABULARY GAME – PICTURE MATCH
VOCABULARY GAME – WORD SORT
WRITING PROJECT – ANIMALS
READING GAME – SEQUENCING
READING AND VOCABULARY GAME
WACKY WEB TALES
SPELLING GAME – SPELL CHECK
SPELLING GAME -- SCRAMBLESAURUS
POEMS -- WRITING SHAPE POEMS
POEMS -- WRITING RIDDLE POEMS
Powerhouse Summer Skills Program 2014
We want to help our Powerhouse learners keep up on their skills over the summer break. This year we are again encouraging all of our students to practice their reading and math skills to be ready to go when school begins on August 21st. This summer we will be offering an optional program for all our students.
If your child reaches ONE GOAL, he/she will…
1. Have his/her name displayed in the main hallway at school.
2. Earn a sweet treat (to be determined) at school.
3. Be entered into a drawing for a Barnes and Noble gift certificate.
If your child reaches BOTH GOALS for their level, she/he will…
1. Earn all prizes mentioned above.
2. Be entered into a drawing for EXTRA BONUS prizes to be awarded in September.
TOP ACHIEVERS AT EACH GRADE LEVEL THAT PASS BOTH GOALS…
1. The top three achievers at each grade level will win a Subway Lunch with Mr. Rhodes.
2. The top achiever at each grade level will win a KINDLE, e-reader!!
TO EARN THESE SPECIAL REWARDS students need to accomplish certain tasks over the summer or show a certain skill level upon their return to school…
2014-2015 Kindergarteners should be able to:
GOAL 1. Recognize numbers 1 - 10
GOAL 2. Write their entire first name and identify at least 20 letters.
2014-2015 First Graders should be able to:
GOAL 1. Count by one’s to one hundred (without skipping any numbers) and... Write all numbers up to 20 with 90% accuracy.
GOAL 2. Recognize and write all capital and lowercase letters and recognize sight words with 90% accuracy.
2014-2015 Second Graders should be able to:
GOAL 1. Complete 30 fact addition and subtraction timed tests with sums to 12 with 93% accuracy in 5 min.
GOAL 2. Earn at least 5 AR points between June 9 and August 22, 2014.
FYI: Picture books are worth .5 points each. Chapter books are worth 1 point or more, depending on the length. Use www.arbookfind.com to check the amount of points a book is worth.
2014-2015 Third Graders should be able to:
GOAL 1. Complete 50 fact addition and subtraction timed test with 92% accuracy in five minutes.
GOAL 2. Earn at least 10 AR points between June 9 and August 22, 2014.
2014-2015 Fourth Graders should be able to:
GOAL 1. Complete 100 fact addition, subtraction, and multiplication timed tests with 95% accuracy in five minutes.
GOAL 2. Earn at least 16 AR points between June 9 and August 22, 2014.
Parents, if your child can already accomplish these goals, challenge him/her by working toward some of our goals for the next grade level!!
You will be able to earn AR points this summer by doing the following:
1. Find some good books. (Sorry, the school library will be closed.)
2. Get on line at: www.arbookfind.com to see if the books you have found are AR books.
3. Read the book.
4. Come to school at any of the times listed:
-MONDAYS 6:00 – 7:30 PM: June 9, 16, 23, 30, July 7, 14, 21, 28, August 11
-TUESDAYS 122 PM: June 10, 17, 24, July, 1, 8, 15, 22, 29, August 12
-WEDNESDAYS 10:00 – 11:30 AM: June 11, 18, 25, July 2, 9, 16, 23, 30 August 13
-THURSDAYS 122 PM: June 12, 19, 26, July 3, 10, 17, 24, 31, August 14
-THURSDAY, AUGUST 14: 10:00 11:30 AM
-SATURDAY, AUGUST 16: 1112:30
- There will be signs on the front doors letting you know what doors are open and which computer labs are available due to summer cleaning in the building. PLEASE CHECK THE FRONT DOOR EACH TIME. Entrances to the building that are open will change throughout the summer.
- Take and pass your AR quizzes! Parents must come in with children while they quiz. AR quizzes typically take children only 25 minutes per quiz to complete.
- To conserve paper and ink we will not be printing quiz results. You can view your child’s results at https://Hosted174.renlearn.com/103310/HomeConnect/Login.aspx
**Parents, at this site you can sign up to receive email notices every time your child takes a quiz. If you need assistance, ask a Whitehouse Staff member during the summer lab hours listed above.
CAN’T MAKE IT TO THE LAB THIS SUMMER!! THAT IS OK!! KEEP READING!!
ALL WHITEHOUSE TEACHERS WILL ALLOW STUDENTS TO TAKE AR TESTS THE FIRST TWO DAYS OF SCHOOL AND COUNT THOSE POINTS FOR THEIR SUMMER TOTALS!! (AR point totals will be collected at the end of the day on FRIDAY, August 22nd.)
Copies of all forms for this program are available in several places:
- Whitehouse Primary web page
- School Kiosk (the last week of school)
- Computer Lab during assigned summer hours
Available forms include:
- This informational letter
- The first grade sight word list
- Sample math fact tests for each grade level grades 24
- Information on helpful math fact websites
Students can also use any of the web sites below to practice MATH FACTS: (Additional sites are available.)
**Children will be assessed on these skills during the first few weeks of school.
**Earned rewards will be issued for all students before September 26th.
**Consider signing your child up for the Lucas County Library Summer Program. You can earn incentives for all programs at the same time!